Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gophers Hockey Selects Mike Hastings as Assistant Coach

I am not sure why I didn’t think of Mike Hastings as the clear choice for the new Gophers hockey team assistant coach in the first place. Hastings is from the USHL Omaha Lancers organization and he spent time coaching Tony Lucia, Don Lucia’s son so of course Don and Mike have a relationship. I hate to sound like a conspiracist (is that even a word?), but I am guessing Don Lucia may have had Mike Hastings tabbed for this position for awhile now and was just waiting for Mike Guentzel to quietly exit.

Don’t get me wrong I think Mike Hastings will bring plenty to the table or the ice rather for the Golden Gopher team. He is the winningest coach in USHL history, he has great recruiting contacts, plenty of coaching experience, is a likable guy, former defenseman with great on ice athletics, passionate about hockey, born and raised in Minnesota and loves to win. The only strike I have against him is that he is a St Cloud State Husky.


Welcome back to the state of hockey and Gopher Nation, Mike Hastings! Here is his official quote: “I grew up in the state and saw firsthand the pride of Gopher hockey in Minnesota,” Hastings said. “To be a part of that is a unique opportunity and will make me proud to go to work every day. It’s something that our entire family is excited about.”

No comments:

What would you like to see more of on this blog?